Lyft joins Uber in suing New York City over limits on cruising time

by admin on Oct 12, 2019

Lyft submitted a lawsuit Friday against the city of New York over policies that limit the amount of time vehicle drivers can cruise certain busy parts of Manhattan without a traveler. The ride-hailing company required the Taxi and also Limousine Commission’s “very harmful traveling regulation” to be removed.

“Lyft supports comprehensive congestion pricing, which is the most effective way to reduce traffic,” Lyft spokeswoman Campbell Matthews said in a statement. “But the TLC’s rushed, the arbitrary approach would be a significant step backward for transportation in New York City, which for years has suffered from an inefficient taxi medallion system created by the TLC. This rule is not a serious attempt to address congestion, and would hurt riders and drivers in New York.”

New York City initially passed legislation in August 2018 topping the amount of ride-hailing autos from solutions like Uber and Lyft can be on the street. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio claimed the move was tailored towards combating congestion and also supplying higher wages to motorists. The legislation was established to end after one year, but in June the city voted to prolong it forever.

As a component of the extension, the city ruled that cars can be vacant in certain parts of the city simply 31% of the time, except after 11 p.m. Wheelchair accessible cars, as well as all-electric autos, are exempt.

Uber likewise took legal action against New York City last month over traveling caps, stating the guidelines threatened its organization design.

Lyft’s match, which was filed in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, says the traveling rule is founded on a TLC study utilizing “obsolete, unstable data.” The match additionally says the guideline “unfairly” doesn’t put on cab although they add to blockage, and also doesn’t take into factor to consider the adverse results this can carry underserved communities.

Tender Loving Care spokesperson Allan J. Fromberg stated the firm hasn’t yet been served with the suit, “yet it’s clear that it’s another attack on the city’s constant initiatives to minimize blockage and also help chauffeurs make money for their family members while collaborating with business that has piled the deck versus them by swamping the roads with vehicle drivers in a race to the base. We will intensely safeguard against this fit, as well as we will proceed to defend more secure, much less busy roads and also for motorists’ rights.”

Source: Cnet

Comments